The Stimulating Physics Network provides networking opportunities and support for physics teachers in the early stages of their career.
Find out your eligibility or register for our early career mentoring programme.
We aim to:
- Provide physics-specific support for early career physics teachers in England;
- Develop reflective practice and a culture of ongoing professional development;
- Cultivate regional and national networks for early career physics specialists;
- Improve the retention of physics specialists in the teaching profession.
Mentors are expert practitioners who are selected on the basis of their excellence in the classroom and experience supporting other teachers. They are enthusiastic specialists with a wealth of experience and knowledge.
Mentors deliver a programme of personalised light-touch mentoring to registered early career physics teachers. Each year we register over 400 physics teachers as they begin initial training and provide support until the end of their second year as a qualified teacher.
Participants can expect their mentor to:
- Communicate regularly to help set targets for professional development;
- Answer questions about teaching physics;
- Signpost relevant teaching resources;
- Arrange and host local termly group events such as CPD workshops and social gatherings;
- Organise remote professional networking, for example, via online forums.
Mentors run events and workshops across England for trainee and new physics teachers.
These free termly sessions provide support in developing strategies for engaging physics teaching and a chance to meet local teachers of physics to share and develop ideas.
To find events in your area, visit our regions page.